16.4.10

I'm an idealist at heart

[image courtesy of flickr]

Last night Dave took Tuesday out for a walk.
He told me that there was a bunny outside the front door
Excitedly I ran out to go see him.

But this bunny was no ordinary bunny
He looked just like the rabbits in pet stores, he was fluffy and clean, and he knew people.
Suddenly I got incredibly worried.

What if the little bun was lost?
What if his human just let him go?
What do I do?

[Image courtesy of Flickr]

I made Dave get the kitten carrier and a towel
And we tried for nearly an hour to try and get him to come home with us.

Some time into the rescue mission, the bunny stood up and started shaking
He stumbled backwards and collapsed on the ground
(I was sitting so close I could touch him)
And my worry shot up

This was a sick rabbit.

As much as I wanted to save this little love, I had too many things to consider:
I have a puppy
I have a kitten
I want them healthy and happy
I couldn't risk their health, or Dave and I's.

So we walked away from the nibbling, convulsing bunny
And I said a prayer.

[Image courtesy of Flickr]

~I have a habit of trying to rescue animals. When I was little I saved kittens, puppies, bunnies, birds, lizards, and when I was very little, I even tried to save a fly. I used to hide them in my closet, or the shed when my parents were home (they had the run of the house when they weren't). I went door to door to try and either find the home they ran from, or for a home where they could go to.

(In fact a month ago I followed a puppy in a snowstorm down 7+ blocks to try and save him.
I wasn't able to grab him either.)

I guess this entry is a thank you to others like me
I'd like to think that if my dog/cat got out, that someone would try and save them for me too.
And to my boyfriend, who stood on an ant hill for at least 10 minutes so that he didn't scare him off into the street

And this entry is for that rabbit.
I hope you're okay, handsome.

Have a wonderful weekend, and be sure to hug your little beasties just a little harder for me today


No comments:

Post a Comment